MUSON Music Library is a resource where the MUSON School of Music’s Diploma students and Basic students, MUSON members and Staff can pursue their passion for music by listening to, reading, and studying in a comfortable environment containing books, journals and recordings of the largest academic music collection in Nigeria.
The Music Library is conceived as an integral part of the resources for the education and training programmes for our Music School and an instrument for fulfilling MUSON’s objectives of promoting the appreciation and enjoyment of classical music.
It was formally commissioned on the occasion of MUSON’s 25th Anniversary in October 2003. However, its planning and establishment took place between 1999 and 2000.
The Library is a specialized library on music in print and electronic formats. The Music Library collection contains approximately 4,500 books which include music manuscripts, music textbooks, music sheets and reference materials such as Dictionaries, Encyclopedia, Biographies of musicians, Guides, Music yearbooks, Directories etc. There are also over 100 Serials, which include Music Journals, Newsletters, Magazines, Bulletins, etc.
Furthermore, the library contains different audio – visual materials including Compact Disks (CDs), DVDs, Video Cassettes and Audio Cassettes. The library is equipped with Audio Cassette Player, Compact and Digital Disk Player, Video Cassette Recorder / Player, Video CD / DVD Player, an Audio Professional Power Amplifier, a Stereo Player / Recorder, a Sound Mixer, TV sets, Loud Speakers, a Large Flat TV Screen, Computer Systems, Printer and Internet Connectivity that allows library users to have access to online materials.
The music library is also equipped with modern library software for processing the materials in its collection. This enhances library users’ ability to know the details of the materials in the library’s collection and where they are located on the shelf. It also helps to keep track of the library circulation data. Furthermore, users can also search the library software using many approaches such as subject, composers, title etc.
The library opens six days a week, Monday to Saturday; 9:00am to 5:00pm daily.
Admission to the Library
The Music Library is open to the following categories of users:
- MUSON School Diploma Students
- Registered MUSON Basic School Students
- Members of the Musical Society of Nigeria (MUSON)
- MUSON School Staff and Teachers
- Others interested in Music on payment of a token fee and the production of a letter of recommendation.
- The charitable arm of the International Association of Music Libraries (IAML) UK and Ireland branch donated the first set of materials in the library in September 2004.
- Stanbic IBTC Bank (a member of Standard Bank Group) donated four computer systems and also financed the installation of internet connectivity in the library.
- Individuals and organizations have also contributed immensely to the library development. Dr. Kalu I. Kalu donated a printer. Dr. Sowade, Mr. Olalekan and Dr. (Mrs) Femi Akinkugbe also donated a number of CDs and books. Among other donors are: Mr. Gboyega Banjo, Mr. Sammy Olagbaju, Dr. Jerry Grange, Mr. Thomas Kanitz, Dr. Stephen Olusoji, Mr. Fadeyi Segun and Maryann Agetu.
We are using this medium to solicit further donation and contribution of books, CDs, and DVDs on music theory and performance, recordings, music scores, training textbooks, essays and lectures, criticism and audio-visual equipments.
Mrs. O.B. Ogunade, (NCE, BLIS, MLIS; U.I.) +2348078192578, +2348039210724
For these reasons, MUSON is acclaimed as one of the greatest voluntary efforts in aid of the arts in any country in the world.
Yet, the Musical Society of Nigeria is registered as a charity and receives no public funding from State or Federal Government. The vital work it does in support and promotion of the Arts, since its inception, would not have been possible without the generous grants, sponsorships and donations by its corporate and individual partners and supporters.
Mr. Oluseun Aborisade (Dip.Comp.Sc, Comp.Engr.&Web.Sol., Dip.Mus., Grd. 8 Viola; MUSON, Lib. A.U. Toronto) +2348077607204, +2348081248372